Veterans Services | SKCTC

Veterans Services

VA educational benefits

Eligibility for VA educational benefits is determined by the US Department of Veterans Affairs. All students should visit for the most up-to-date information on the education benefits listed below. Find out if you are eligible for the GI Bill® and related benefits, and learn how to apply online. 

The Veterans Services Office does not approve or deny benefits. Only the US Department of Veterans Affairs can do this. We will be happy to assist you with finding answers to your VA benefits questions and even assist you with the application for benefits.


  • First time enlistment of armed forces/ active duty on or after July 1, 1985*
  • High school graduate or completed GED


  • Complete and submit VA Form 22-1990

    * Consult VA for other eligibility


  • Participated in voluntary, contributory matching program set up for those entering armed forces between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985
  • Active duty service of at least 24 months


  • Complete and submit VA Form 22-1990


  • Service members who served at least 90 aggregate days of active duty after September 10, 2001

  • Children of a member of the Armed Forces who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001 may be eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits under the Marine Gunnery John David Fry Scholarship Program

  • Members of the uniformed services may be eligible to transfer their unused benefits to their spouse or dependent(s). Generally, they must agree to serve four more years when transferring benefits.


  • Child or spouse of a veteran who has a 100 percent, service-related disability

  • Child or widow whose parents/ spouses death was service-related

  • Complete and submit VA Form 22-5490


  • Reservist enlisted/re-enlisted for six years after October 1, 1990
    High school graduate or completed GED

  • Completed initial active duty for training


  • Contact reserve unit to verify eligibility

  • Complete and submit VA Form 22-1990

  • Submit DD-2384 (Notice of Basic Eligibility)

Once your application for education benefits has been reviewed and processed, you will receive a letter from the Veterans Administration stating your eligibility for VA educational benefits. A copy of this letter needs to be submitted to your Veterans Services Coordinator as soon as possible.

tuition assistance

If you are on active duty, a drilling reservist, or a member of the National Guard you may qualify for Federal or State Tuition Assistance (TA). Many of these programs are time-sensitive so the earlier you get things done, the smoother your benefits will go. Keep in mind that schools and other programs have their own deadlines as well.

Work with your respective branch of service if you plan to use Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA). Please use the following links for additional information.

Air Force
Coast Guard
Kentucky National Guard

Applicants and students must speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or Counselor prior to enrolling.

Kentucky Tuition waiver

A waiver of tuition is an education benefit provided by the Commonwealth of Kentucky in recognition of military service of certain Kentucky veterans. The tuition waiver is provided for children, stepchildren, spouses, and un-remarried widows & widowers. Complete the online application or call 502-564-9203/email for additional information.



GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).