Transfer FAQ | SKCTC

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Transfer (FAQ)


When should I see an advisor to prepare to transfer?

You should see an advisor at the beginning of your first semester. It is important to choose the correct general education courses that are required by the four-year college or university. It may take you longer than four years to earn a bachelor s degree, unless you carefully plan your course selections.

How do colleges and universities define a transfer student?

A transfer student is anyone who wished to enroll in an undergraduate degree program and has attended another college or university after graduating from high school or completing the GED.

Which degrees transfer best?

The Associate of Arts (AA) and Associate of Science (AS) are designed specifically for transfer. They require courses equivalent to those typically required during the first two years of baccalaureate degrees. These courses meet the lower-level (freshman and sophomore years) general-education requirements of the four-year colleges and universities.

What if I am almost finished with another type of degree?

The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree, although designed to prepare students for employment, also transfers reasonably well to some senior institutions. (examples: Nursing, Radiography)

Are there advantages to earning an AA or AS before transferring?

Yes. Students who have earned transfer oriented AA or AS degrees are considered to have met the lower-division general education requirements for four year public and most private institutions.

What do i need to know if i plan to transfer without earning an AA or AS?

Students can maximize the number of credits that will transfer by completing a college transfer associate s degree, however, some students choose to transfer before completing a degree program. Students need to be sure to evaluate transfer policies for the school they wish to attend.

How do I find the colleges and universities that are best for the major I want?

Ask your advisor, counselors and people in the field you have chosen.

How do I know which classes will transfer?

Talk with your advisor, the Transfer Liaison, or a counselor and review university website transfer guides for help in selecting transferable courses.

Can a counselor tell me which courses will transfer to an out-of-state school?

The Transfer Liaison or a counselor can assist with finding the transfer information website for out-of-state schools. The college where the students wants to transfer determines which courses they will accept, how many credits will be awarded, and the type of credit that will be awarded (general education, major requirements, or elective credit). Most colleges are accredited by the same organization as Southeast and will accept general education transfer credit.

How do I have my transcripts sent to another college or university for admissions?

Submit an online Transcript Request Form or complete the form in the Records Office.

When should I apply to the colleges I am considering?

Each college had its own application deadlines. It is a good idea to apply a year ahead of the date you wish to enroll. Most colleges set deadlines at least 6 months prior to enrollment.

Do I have to report all colleges I have attended when I apply for transfer from another college?

Yes. If you don t and the college you applied to discovers your omission, you may not be accepted. Some colleges also want your high school transcript.

What grades are accepted by other colleges and universities?

Most colleges have policies requiring a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 for all course work attempted at the community college. For individual courses, D grades may not be accepted for credit. If you earned D grades in general education course or prerequisites for your major required by the transfer institution, you may be required to repeat that course. See the catalog of the college to which you plan to transfer.

Can I continue to take courses at Southeast after I transfer?

Most schools have guidelines regarding transferring in more coursework after you have been accepted to that college or university. You must request prior permission from a designated school official. It is best to complete all courses at the community college before transferring.

What questions should I ask my new college or university?

Services for transfer students are important. You should ask such things as transfer credit, course registrations, new student orientation, financial aid, and housing availabilities.

How do I find out about transfer information sessions or campus tours arranged by a college or university that I am interested in?

Visit the admission website and specifically the transfer link of the school that you are interested in.

How can I pay for the rest of my college education?

Scholarships, grants, loans and work-study opportunities can make your college education more affordable. Check the financial aid website of your future college or university.

Does every college and university accept transfer students?

Most four-year institutions accept transfer students, but some do more enthusiastically than others. You will need to check the catalogs of several colleges before making your final choice.

What are articulation agreements and why are they important?

Most community colleges and four-year universities within the state have articulation agreements between each other which ensure that most or all course credits can be transferred between the schools. It makes the transfer process itself easier and more transparent since the agreements has already defined how credits will be transferred.

Once accepted as a transfer student, will all course credits be transferred?

The new school has the right to accept or deny any course credits that they choose. Public universities follow the General Education Block Transfer Agreement which states that the AA/AS or blocks of courses will be accepted to meet general education requirements at the transfer institution. Most private institutions accept the AA/AS as meeting general education requirements. Also, there may be an Articulation Agreement between the schools which specifies which courses are transferable. A list of common limitations that schools put on transferring credit are: minimum GPA that must be earned, number of credits might be limited, there may be a statute of limitations on when the credits were earned, a minimum number of credits earned before you can transfer, and some schools do not evaluate number of credits transferred until you are accepted.