Academic advising allows students to become responsible for their own academic success. Every student entering a community and technical college is assigned an academic advisor. Faculty advisors are committed to providing accurate and comprehensive academic advising. The assignment is made on the basis of the student's interests and achievements. The advisor must be consulted before the student registers and before any changes are made in the schedule of classes the student is taking.
Students enrolling in KCTCS colleges for the purpose of earning credit applicable toward an educational credential (certificate, diploma, and associate degree) must demonstrate through the submission of scores on specified assessment instruments that they possess the minimum academic skills essential for success. Students who do not demonstrate these academic skills must remedy the identified skill deficiencies prior to enrolling in entry-level courses for which those skills are essential.
Placement Chart: TABE/KYOTE
SKCTC has adopted an advising syllabus for use during a student’s initial semester in college. The advising syllabus contains a wealth of information for students new to college, including important advising contacts and a checklist of items to complete during the students first semester in college. Beginning the 2019 - 2020 academic year, the second tier syllabi will be used by the student and his or her assigned academic advisor as a path for student success.
WHAT ARE THE STUDENTS (THE ADVISEE) RESPONSIBILITES
- Seek advising from an assigned advisor at appropriate times. An appointment sometimes in not necessary.
- Keep scheduled appointments. If it is necessary for you to reschedule your appointment, please call the advisor or his/her division assistant before the appointment.
- Ask specific questions regarding general education requirements, academic policies, resource referrals (tutoring, note taking, career exploration, personal counseling).
- Monitor your academic progress as you move toward your academic goal.
- Look over the schedule and prepare a list of classes you are considering taking.
- Give your advisor accurate information about your study habits, strengths and weaknesses, academic progress.
- Listen to your advisor and consider his/her advice and recommendations.
- Contact your advisor as needed.
VISIT YOUR ADVISOR!
Why should you visit your advisor?
- To beat the rush
- To get the classes you want, so you don’t have to wait!
- To be different!
- To be one step closer to your goals!
- To get ahead of the game!
Each advisor has a preferred method of contact. Below are the most common ways in which you can reach your advisor.
- Starfish [http://mypath.kctcs.edu/] (Access Starfish through My Path, and locate the Success Network to schedule an appointment)
- Email (locate your advisor's information in your Starfish Success Network)
- Phone (locate your advisor's information in your Starfish Success Network)
- Door sign-up sheet (advisors utilizing this method will have a paper sign-in sheet on their office door)
WHAT ARE THE ADVISOR’S (SKCTC FACULTY/STAFF) RESPONSIBILITES?
- Keep scheduled appointments. Contact student if it is necessary to reschedule.
- Be prepared with appropriate materials (student file with academic information, class schedule, general education and major checklists, resource referral information).
- Provide accurate information about classes, general education and major requirements, registration and drop/add deadlines, academic policies and procedures.
- Assist in the evaluation of the advisee’s academic progress.
- Listen to advisee's concerns and questions and assist in making decisions and solving problems.
- Suggest options for careers, majors, and selection of courses.
- ALL NEW STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO ATTEND AN ORIENTATION SESSION BEFORE YOU CAN ENROLL.
The purpose is to familiarize you with college policies and procedures, provide important information about college placement and registration, and to bring you to campus to see our facilities and learn about services available to you. After each orientation session students with a complete admission file will be able to register for classes.
- Please sign up for pre-registration