Southeast Announces Steps to Reduce Risk of COVID-19 on all Campuses
March 17, 2020
Cumberland, Harlan, Whitesburg, Pineville, Middlesboro, KY — Staff at Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College (SKCTC) are stepping up efforts to minimize the risk of spreading COVID-19 by increasing disinfecting measures.
Southeast President Vic Adams says that all classrooms, technical program work areas, and public areas have been disinfected and locked.
Computer labs remain open for students, but they are disinfected daily. Only one entry point per building remains open, and these areas are also disinfected daily. Campus libraries may only be used by students and employees until further notice.
The college announced last Friday that all classes would move online beginning Wednesday, March 18. While many employees are working from home, a small number have remained on campus. Those employees have been encouraged to wash their hands regularly, use social distancing techniques and disinfect their work areas after small group meetings or visitors.
“These are unprecedented times, and I want to thank our employees, particularly those who work in maintenance and operations, for their patience and vigilance,” said Dr. Adams. “Information seems to change moment to moment, but we will do our best to keep the public informed as we make our way forward.”
March 18, 2020
As President of Southeast, I want to reassure you that we support you during this confusing and unprecedented time. I also want to further clarify Southeast’s actions in response to COVID-19.
- Southeast has moved to only online instruction through March 27. Please call, email, or use Blackboard to connect with instructors if you have questions.
- Southeast will NOT provide any lab classes through March 27.
- Southeast will remain open, providing limited campus access to our students.
- One computer lab per campus will remain open for students from 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Monday-Friday. Students using these labs are expected to maintain social distancing
practices and remain six to eight feet apart. Computer labs available per campus are:
- Cumberland – Newman 203
- Harlan – Admin 111
- Middlesboro – Troy Welch 233
- Pineville – Room 145
- Whitesburg – Belinda Mason 114
- Wi-Fi is available in our campus parking lots for students who prefer to remain in their vehicles.
- To help keep our buildings disinfected, we are limiting access. Entrances remaining
open for students per campus are:
- Front door for Chrisman (close to Newman)
- Newman door facing Falkenstine
- Admin Building front door and door facing Building 1
- Building 1 front door facing Board of Education
- Front doors for Admin building
- Front doors for Troy Welch building
- Pineville – front doors
- Belinda Mason front door
- Caudill front door
I have attached the latest Blackboard tutorial in case you need additional assistance.
If you need to speak with Student Affairs staff, please call in or email if at all possible. If you call and do not receive an answer immediately, please leave a voice mail, and someone will return your call as soon as possible.
Thank you for patience as we continue to keep #SKCTCStudentsFirst.
Dr. Vic Adams, President/CEO