Student Grievance Procedure

Student Complaints Resolution

The Faculty and Staff of SKCTC are committed to providing a quality educational experience, fully supported by a range of academic and administrative services and facilities. However, we also recognize that, occasionally, students may feel aggrieved and need to express their dissatisfaction. When this happens, students have numerous ways to express their dissatisfaction and seek an explanation and solution to their complaint or concern.

Complaints generally are divided into two categories: Academic Rights and Non-Academic Concerns.

Academic Rights

The academic rights of all students are clearly set forth in the KCTCS Code of Student Conduct . The following Code sections delineate right of students and corresponding complaint and appeal procedures related to the rights.




Fundamental Rights

Article I


Academic Rights

Article II


Right to Appeal Alleged Academic Offenses

Article II


Right to Appeal Sanctions for Alleged Non-academic Disciplinary Issues

Article III


Right to Appeal Sanctions of Alleged Misuse of Computers

Article IV


Right to Appeal Sanctions Related to Alleged Violations Related to Student Organizations

Article V


Appendix A of the Code provides a convenient overview of the student's right and the process to appeal an alleged violation of those rights.

Non-Academic Concerns

SKCTC also has developed a Student Complaints Referral to address complaints related to the college's policies or procedures.

Additionally, SKCTC Vice President of Student Affairs is available to help students, both in-person and online, when they have a complaint or other concern. At any time, the student also may contact the Vice President of Student Affairs for assistance or guidance with the complaint process. The Vice President of Student Affairs works closely with the student and any involved unity involved with the complaint or concern. The Vice President of Student Affairs also may refer the student to processes under the Code of Student Conduct if the student feels a formal complaint needs to be filed. Contact information for the Vice President of Student Affairs is:

Dr. Rebecca J. Parrott


Complaints Related to Sexual Misconduct
Complaints relating to sexual misconduct should be made directly to the College Title IX Coordinator or other college administrator. Such Complaints shall be handled in accordance with the KCTCS Sexual Misconduct Procedure. The Vice President for Student Services of SKCTC can refer the student to the Title IX Coordinator or Title IX contact information can be found at

Tony Sweatt, EEO Coordinator
Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College
Harlan, KY 40831
606-589-2145, Ext. 93214 OR


Most difficulties can be resolved by talking to someone. Therefore, students are encouraged to discuss these problems promptly and candidly with the EEO/Diversity Coordinator.

  1. If a student feels that he/she has been discriminated against, the student shall bring the problem to the attention of the EEO/Diversity Coordinator within five (5) business days of learning of the cause of the grievance. The coordinator will conduct a preliminary investigation of the grievance.
  2. The student, EEO/Diversity Coordinator, and other involved parties will work informally to negotiate a solution within five (5) business days. The formal procedure should be completed in approximately ten (10) business days from learning of the cause of the grievance.
  3. If the grievance cannot be satisfactorily resolved by working informally, the student may proceed within five (5) business days to file a written grievance through the Formal Procedure.


Step 1:

  • Within fifteen (15) days of learning of the grievance, a student will file a written notice with the EEO/Diversity Coordinator. They may use the Grievance Form, which is available from the EEO/Diversity Coordinator. The written notice shall identify the nature of the alleged discrimination, the date(s) of occurrence, and the desired result, and shall be signed and dated by the student filing the grievance.
  • As soon as possible, the EEO/Diversity Coordinator will initiate an adequate, reliable impartial investigation of the grievance.
  • Within ten (10) business days of receiving the student's written notice, the EEO/Diversity Coordinator shall respond in writing to the student. The response shall summarize the course of the investigation and determine the validity of the grievance and the appropriate resolution.

Step 2:

  • If the student is not satisfied with the coordinator's response, the student may appeal in writing to the President of Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College (or designee) within five (5) business days of the Step 1 response. The Step 2 appeal must contain all written documentation from Step 1 and the student's reasons for not accepting the coordinator's response.
  • Within seven (7) business days from receiving the written Step 2 appeal, the President (or designee) will respond in writing to the student as to the action to be taken.

Step 3:

  • If the grievance is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student, the student may file an appeal according to the KCTCS Code of Conduct Section

The deadline established in this procedure may be waived in exceptional circumstances by the President of Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College (or designee).

Student Discrimination Grievance Procedures
Student who feels they may have been discriminated against or subject to harassment by students or employees because of their race, color, national origin, sex/gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, beliefs, political affiliation, veteran status, age, or disability (including denial of a request for an accommodation) have the right to pursue a discrimination grievance. The informal student discrimination grievance procedure is described in KCTCs Administrative Policies and Procedures 6.6. If the grievance is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student through the informal grievance procedure, the student may file a formal appeal according to the KCTCS Code of Student Conduct.

Complaints under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Complaints relating to the ADA or applicable state and local laws that forbid discrimination in employment against qualified individuals with disabilities should be made to the Senior Director of Human Resources. Such complaints will be handled in accordance with the KCTCS administrative Policies and Procedures 3.3.1. This policy applies to all employees, including student-employees. Contact any admissions office at any of our five campuses if you feel you need to file a ADA complaint.