Financial Aid Programs

Financial Aid Programs

The following financial aid programs are most commonly used by Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College Financial Aid Office. You should contact the Southeast Financial Aid Office for additional programs.

Federal Pell Grant Program is a federal aid program designed to provide financial assistance in the form of non-repayable grants. The amount of the Federal Pell Grant is determined on the basis of the financial resources of the student and the student's family and the cost of attending the institution. To be eligible for consideration for a Federal Pell Grant, you must be an undergraduate student who has not received a baccalaureate degree. All students at SKCTC have the right to apply for the Free Application Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

To ensure timely processing of your application and receive consideration for the most funds, you should apply as soon as possible. Students failing to complete their financial aid files before the start of the semester are expected to arrange payment of tuition and fees before starting classes.


Scholarship awards for SKCTC students are typically made during the month of May for the following school year.. Generally, scholarships at the community colleges are supported by gifts from alumni and friends of the colleges. Consequently, the number of scholarships available at any time depends almost entirely upon the extent of private giving.

Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic ability and evidence of need for financial assistance. Some scholarships are limited to students enrolled in a particular program, some are limited to the student whose home is in a particular geographic area, and others are available to any qualified student.

Federal College Work Study

The College Work Study Program provides employment opportunities for those students who qualify. Qualifications for the College Work Study Program are based on the information submitted in a processed FAFSA. Work Study employment is based on an average 15-20 hour work week. Students working in the Program are paid a wage of $7.25 per hour. When possible, students employed in the work-study program are placed in employment related to their course of study. Employment applications for the College Work Study program are available in the financial aid office at any of our five campuses. For more information, please contact Barbara Gent (606) 248-0142.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

This federal grant provides additional assistance to attain an undergraduate education if you have exceptional financial need. Application for the SEOG grant program is completed with the submission and processing of the financial aid application (FAFSA). SEOG awards are completed during the spring of each year for the school year that begins the following August. SEOG awards are not loans and do not have to be repaid. Students must be enrolled a minimum of 6 credit hours to qualify.

KEES Grant

For additional information on the KEES scholarship go to the following web address

Each Southeast has its own scholarship program and its own scholarship committee. The scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis. Information on these scholarships is available from each of our financial aid office.

Loans - Federal Stafford Loans is a low interest loan program targeted to the neediest students. For information on student loans go to the following web address:

CAP Grant

College Access Program (CAP) provides basic access for eligible Kentucky students who attend a public college or university in the state. CAP grants are based on community college tuition rates.

In order to qualify, you must carry at least six semester hours, in academic programs that take at least two years to complete, establish financial need, and be a US citizen and Kentucky resident. You must not have previously received a bachelor's degree, not be enrolled in a program leading to a religious vocation, and must be enrolled in courses leading to a degree. If enrolled at least half-time, the student must also apply for a Pell Grant.

To qualify for a CAP grant the total EFC toward your educational expenses cannot exceed $8,369. The maximum award for 2016-2017 academic year is $1,900 ($950 each semester).

CAP Grants help Kentucky s financially needy undergraduate students attend eligible public and private colleges and universities, proprietary schools, and technical colleges.

  • Student must:
    • Be a Kentucky resident.
    • Have financial need.
    • Attend an eligible college.
    • Have no past due financial obligations to KHEAA or to any Title IV program.
    • Be enrolled at least half-time in a program at least two years in length.
  • Award:
    • Up to $1,900.
  • Application:
    • FAFSA, which should be completed as soon as possible after January 1. Funds are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.

Veterans Educational Assistance Allowances

Southeast has been approved for enrollment of veterans and other persons eligible to receive Veterans' Educational Assistance Allowances. Southeast an individual to coordinate federal and state programs for veterans and eligible dependents. V.A. regulations may change from time to time. For this reason, individuals receiving veterans' educational benefits should keep in contact with the Office of Veterans' Affairs at their local community college. The Office of Veterans' Affairs must be informed immediately by the student of any change in student status. Failure to report change in status may result in the individual being held liable by the Veterans' Administration for any overpayment. It is imperative that the student read and closely follow the following guidelines adapted from V.A. regulations:

Title 38, United States code, sections 1674 and 1724, require that educational assistance benefits to veterans and other eligible persons be discontinued when the student ceases to make satisfactory progress toward his or her training objective.

  1. Standards of progress with respect to probation, suspension, graduation, etc., are published elsewhere in this catalog.
  2. The Veterans' Administration must be notified within 30 days of the last date of attendance in any course from which a veteran or other eligible person withdraws. Students who withdraw from a course must report this fact immediately to the Office of Veterans' Affairs at the community college.
  3. Any veteran who is reported as "not in class" at the end of any semester and who has not been previously reported to the V.A. as a termination will be reported as being terminated. The college will report the last day of attendance or the last date there is any evidence of attendance. If the student is given a failing grade (E), this provision for reporting termination does not apply.
  4. Veterans or other eligible persons may not remain on probation beyond two semesters without an improvement in academic standing.
  5. No payment of educational benefits will be made to a veteran or other eligible person for audited courses or courses for which the grade assigned is not used when computing graduation requirements, including courses from which the veteran or other eligible person withdraws.
  6. An incomplete grade (I) must be converted to a credit grade counting toward graduation or a failing grade within one calendar year of the date on which the I was assigned.
  7. Students receiving V.A. benefits may not receive their benefits for repeating a course in which a satisfactory grade has been given.
  8. Only one change of major is allowed without counseling.
  9. A veteran or eligible person may only receive V.A. benefits for taking subjects that will count toward his or her educational objectives (associate degree or transfer program).

For more information go to the following web address