Students Strolling

Financial Aid Programs

The following financial aid programs are most commonly used by Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College Financial Aid Office.  You should contact the Southeast Financial Aid Office for additional programs.


Financial assistance is available for academically worthy students. Generally, scholarships at the community colleges are supported by gifts from alumni and friends of the colleges. Consequently, the number of scholarships available at any time depends almost entirely upon the extent of private giving.

Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic ability and evidence of need for financial assistance.  Some scholarships are limited to students enrolled in a particular program, some are limited to the student whose home is in a particular geographic area, and others are available to any qualified student.

For additional information on the KEES scholarship go to the following web address

Each Southeast has its own scholarship program and its own scholarship committee. The scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis. Information on these scholarships is available from each of our financial aid office.

Loans - Federal Stafford Loans is a low interest loan program targeted to the neediest students.   For information on student loans go to the following web address:


Federal Pell Grant Program is a federal aid program designed to provide financial assistance in the form of non-repayable grants. The amount of the Federal Pell Grant is determined on the basis of the financial resources of the student and the student's family and the cost of attending the institution. To be eligible for consideration for a Federal Pell Grant, you must be an undergraduate student who has not received a baccalaureate degree. You should complete the FAFSA to be considered for Federal Pell Grants.

College Access Program (CAP) provides basic access for eligible Kentucky students who attend a public college or university in the state. CAP grants are based on community college tuition rates.

In order to qualify, a you must carry at least six semester hours, in academic programs that take at least two years to complete, establish financial need, and be a US citizen and Kentucky resident. You must not have previously received a bachelor's degree, not be enrolled in a program leading to a religious vocation, and must be enrolled in courses leading to a degree. If enrolled at least half-time, the student must also apply for a Pell Grant.

To qualify for a CAP grant the total EFC toward your educational expenses cannot exceed $8,369. The maximum award for 2003-2004 academic year is $1,400 ($700 each semester). Eligible part-time college student will receive an amount calculated on $58 a credit hour.

V.A. Educational Assistance Allowances

Southeast has been approved for enrollment of veterans and other persons eligible to receive Veterans' Educational Assistance Allowances. Southeast an individual to coordinate federal and state programs for veterans and eligible dependents. V.A. regulations may change from time to time. For this reason, individuals receiving veterans' educational benefits should keep in contact with the Office of Veterans' Affairs at their local community college. The Office of Veterans' Affairs must be informed immediately by the student of any change in student status. Failure to report change in status may result in the individual being held liable by the Veterans' Administration for any overpayment. It is imperative that the student read and closely follow the following guidelines adapted from V.A. regulations:

Title 38, United States code, sections 1674 and 1724, require that educational assistance benefits to veterans and other eligible persons be discontinued when the student ceases to make satisfactory progress toward his or her training objective.

  1. Standards of progress with respect to probation, suspension, graduation, etc., are published elsewhere in this catalog.
  2. The Veterans' Administration must be notified within 30 days of the last date of attendance in any course from which a veteran or other eligible person withdraws. Students who withdraw from a course must report this fact immediately to the Office of Veterans' Affairs at the community college.
  3. Any veteran who is reported as "not in class" at the end of any semester and who has not been previously reported to the V.A. as a termination will be reported as being terminated. The college will report the last day of attendance or the last date there is any evidence of attendance. If the student is given a failing grade (E), this provision for reporting termination does not apply.
  4. Veterans or other eligible persons may not remain on probation beyond two semesters without an improvement in academic standing.
  5. No payment of educational benefits will be made to a veteran or other eligible person for audited courses or courses for which the grade assigned is not used when computing graduation requirements, including courses from which the veteran or other eligible person withdraws.
  6. An incomplete grade (I) must be converted to a credit grade counting toward graduation or a failing grade within one calendar year of the date on which the I was assigned.
  7. Students receiving V.A. benefits may not receive their benefits for repeating a course in which a satisfactory grade has been given.
  8. Only one change of major is allowed without counseling.
  9. A veteran or eligible person may only receive V.A. benefits for taking subjects that will count toward his or her educational objectives (associate degree or transfer program).

For more information go to the following web address